Popcorn is among the most important movie snacks. For most of the people, movie trip is not complete without popcorn, soda and candy as these snacks are the most enjoyable parts of the trip. These people have never thought that whether these popcorns are healthy or not. While you eat watching movie you always consume more calories and a huge amount of fat and sodium as you are distracted. A large popcorn tub has around 100g fat and 1,300 calories. There are many alternatives available for movie popcorn, which are delicious and healthy.
As per study carried out at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, people who were given big bucket of popcorn consumed 50% more compared to people who were given a medium-sized bag. When the researchers asked the people how much they had consumed, they replied that they had eaten as much as people with a smaller bag. This study is among the studies that proved people eat without thinking if there is food in front of them.
Generally, movie popcorn is coated with sodium, oil and butter which raise the risk of heart attack and stroke. While going to watch a movie you should bring your own homemade portion-controlled snacks. Your own snacks will be healthy and will not destroy your waistline. If you can’t bring snacks, then before going to a movie eat a balanced meal which is full of protein and fiber. This will help to avoid enticement at theater and keep you full for longer period of time. With these homemade fat and calories free snacks movies are still fun.
Popcorn Alternatives Movie Snacks
- 1-ounce of pistachios
- Shelled, salted edamame
- Frozen red or green grapes
- Baby carrots or sliced peppers
- 100 calorie mini bags of popcorn
- Low-fat mozzarella string cheese
- Roasted almonds 100-calorie pack
- Bottled water, club soda or Crystal Lite
- Fruit such as apples, strawberries or raspberries
- A mix of almonds, raisins and mini marshmallows
- Flavor and Fiber Gnu bar or Chocolite Protein Bar
- Dry cereal: Fiber One, Kashi Go Lean or Puffins
- Jicama matchsticks, tossed with lime juice and chili powder