Heart attacks are the leading cause of death for both men and women all over world… do you know the functions of heart in our body? The human heart is a powerful pump like organ which circulates the blood to body’s millions of cells, tissues, organs and systems.
Let us see the functions of heart in our body
The main function of the heart is to pump the oxygenated blood to all parts of the body and send back the deoxygenated blood to the lungs for purification. Any kind of malfunctioning in the working of heart leads to various other complications.
The main disorders of heart are:
- Coronary heart disease
- Angina pectoris
What is the heart attack?
A heart attack happens when blood flow to a segment of heart muscle becomes blocked. If the flow of blood is not reinstated quickly, the section of heart muscle becomes damaged from lack of oxygen and begins to die.
Causes of heart attacks:
One major cause of heart attack is coronary artery disease (CAD). CAD is the buildup over time of a material called plaque on the inner walls of the coronary arteries. Finally a section of plaque can break open, causing a blood clot to form at the site. A heart attack occurs if the clot becomes large enough to cut off most or all of the blood flow through the artery.
- High blood pressure
- Hardening of the arteries
- Thrombosis (formation of clot in the blood)
- Vitamin B deficiency
Prevention and treatment of heart problems:
- Low fat diet is preferred.
- Regular exercise will be very beneficial. These exercises are to be light and moderate. You can take health advisor’s help for this.
- Yoga postures are very beneficial for treating the heart problem.
- Brisk walking, light jogging will be better. Light aerobics can be done with caution.
- Body massage with medicated oils are beneficial in heart problem it improves the blood circulation in body.
- Reduce stress, anxiety, depression and worries. They may work as trigger factors creating heart problems.
- Never work hard (physically). You need rest to give your heart rest.
- Avoid spicy and junk food. They increase the chances of getting heart problems.
- Oily food, sugary food, canned or packed food and foods with preservatives are harmful to heart.
- Excess salt will lead to hypertension, which is again dangerous for heart’s health.
- Light diet like corn flakes, rice flakes is good in heart problem.
- Stop cold drinks, carbonated beverages, stimulant drinks such as excessive coffee, tea or alcohol.
- Smoking worsens the case of any heart disease.
- The food that is heavy to digest like refined flour, white flour etc is strictly to be avoided.
- There should be proper timing of having meals. In between two meals, there should be proper gap. This will allow your digestive system to digest the food in a proper manner.
- Some of the Ayurvedic formulas like arjunarishta, daadimarishta, hyridayarnava rasa are practiced to cure heart problems since years in Ayurvedic science.
- Do not wear tight clothes; it may give pressure to your heart.
- Regular checking of lipid profile, cholesterol and heart scanning will be best to know your heart’s current situation and its functions.
How exercise can benefit heart
Latest researches reveal that some breathing techniques called Pranayama is very beneficial in heart problems. Being physically active as little as 30 minutes a day at least 3 days per week may reduce your risk for heart disease.
- raise the HDL (the good kind of cholesterol).
- lower mildly elevated blood pressure.
- condition of the heart muscle and the lungs.
- help to achieve and maintain a healthy body weight.
- improve circulation.
- help control blood sugar in people with Type 2 Diabetes.
- reduce stress, provide an improved sense of well being and improve sleep.
See more information about exercise here