Make healthy dishes from the turmeric like cake, smoothie, pickle, burger, etc. to get its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
Turmeric is Indian spice that has wide range of benefits. Botanical name of turmeric is Curcuma longa that comes from the old Arabic name of the saffron. Fresh turmeric tuber is similar in look with ginger tuber. Turmeric is root of turmeric plant. It poses dark yellow color that dominates while used in recipes. Turmeric also contains anti inflammatory and anti oxidant properties that helps to cure cancer, arthritis, cough and cold, also improves complexion of skin.
Turmeric can be used in its powder or raw form. One can use turmeric in differ way such as turmeric milk, pickles of turmeric, turmeric tea etc. Here we are sharing top five recipes made up of turmeric. These recipes are beneficial for every age group to stay healthy as well as to satisfy your carving for delicious food.
(1) Baby Potatoes in Spicy Yogurt Gravy: It gives you punch of little red chilies with delicious thick yogurt gravy. It is main course dish.
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients: 20 unpeeled Baby potatoes, 1/2 cup Skimmed milk yogurt, pinch of Asafoetida, 2 tsp Garlic paste, 2 tsp Ginger paste, 2 tsp Red chilli powder, ½ tsp Turmeric powder, 2 tsp Coriander powder, 1 tsp Cumin powder, ½ tsp Garam masala, salt, 2 chopped onions, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Boil baby potatoes in pan with sufficient water.
- Take one bowl and add yogurt, asafoetida, garlic paste, ginger paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix all ingredients well.
- Check out potatoes are properly boiled or not by inserting fork or knife. If they are boiled perfectly, then turn off the gas and put them on side.
- Roast chopped onions in non stick pan till onion becomes light brown in color.
- Now add baby potatoes with yogurt mixture.
- Allow all ingredients to boil for a while on low flame.
- Cook potatoes in gravy till it becomes thick and get covered on potatoes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with paratha and rotis.
(2) Sprouted Lentil Veggie Burger (dairy-free): If you want to enjoy health benefits of turmeric with meatless dinner, then this is the perfect dish for you. It contains high protein, vitamins and enzymes. It is easy to cook.
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Ingredients: 2 cups sprouted lentils, 1 cooked mashed sweet potato, 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil, 3 tbsp ground flax, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp turmeric
- Before you start the recipe, make sure that you sprouted lentis for 2-3 days.
- Once you have to sprout lentis ready, bake sweet potatoes in oven at 400° tempreture.
- Remove the upper layer of baked potatoes and mash them in one bowl.
- Mix coconut oil, ground flax, garlic, salt, pepper and turmeric in one bowl and add mashed potatoes in it. Mix all ingredients well.
- Once you mix all the ingredients, give shape of small patties to mixture of baked potatoes.
- Take one pan and put little butter on it. Put patties on pan and cook them on both sides till it becomes brown in color.
- Garnish it with cheese, avocado or other favorite toppings.
(3) Anti-Inflammatory Watermelon Pineapple Turmeric Smoothie: If you love smoothies a lot, then here is healthy smoothie for you with benefits of turmeric. It will help to reduce inflammation and gives you nutrition of various fruits.
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ingredients: 2 cups frozen watermelon flesh, 1 cup frozen organic pineapple, 1 peeled orange, ½ cup organic coconut milk, 1½ cups organic coconut water, 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, ½ teaspoon organic turmeric powder, 2-3 drops liquid stevia or 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Take all fruits in blender and blend them well.
- Add all other ingredients and blend it well.
- Continue blending till mixture gets converted into the smooth and frosty.
- Take it in serving glass and enjoy with your favorite topping.
(4) Turmeric Pickles: This pickle is useful to purify blood, reduce inflammation in our body.
Ingredients: 1/4 cup of fresh organic ginger, 1/4 cup of fresh organic turmeric, 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tsp. of Hingvastak, 1 tsp. of black mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp. of chili powder, 2 tsp. of salt, lemon juice
- Remove skin of turmeric tubers and slice them in round shape.
- Take one pan and heat oil in it. Add all spices in it.
- When mustard seeds start pop up, turn off the burner
- Add mixture into the turmeric slices
- Put it into the glass jar.
- You can eat it with your dinner or lunch.
- Turmeric pickle can be stored for two to three months in air-tight glass jar.
(5) Orange Turmeric Cake: You can also add some health in your birthday cake with the Orange turmeric cake. It gives you zesty orange flavor with hint of little turmeric color and taste.
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Ingredients: 250gm butter, 250gm sugar, 4 eggs, 150gm Greek yogurt, 20gm turmeric, finely grated, 200gm almond meal, 150gm polenta, 1 tsp bicarb soda, 2 juiced oranges.
Icing: ½ cup of thick Greek yoghurt, ½ cup icing sugar, Orange zest to garnish
- Turn on oven for pre-heating at 180° c.
- Cover baking tin with baking paper and grease it with butter and coat polenta.
- In one mixing bowl, finely mix cream and sugar first. Add one egg during the time of mixing to get fine batter.
- Add yogurt and turmeric in batter again mix well.
- Mix almond meal, polenta and bicarb soda to combine well.
- Put batter in the baking tin and put it into the oven for 1 hour to cook.
- After cake get baked well, leave it to get cool down.
- Mix yoghurt and icing sugar to spread all over the cake. Decorate your cake with the oranges zest to give yummy orange look.
Image courtesy: healyrealfoodvegetarian